Chintapandu Pulihora/Tamarind Rice
Sep 12, 2011 by admin
This is my most most favorite dish.. always! I believe.. this recipe lures almost every South Indian. “Chinthapandu Pulihora” (Also called Puliogare in Tamil) is a very famous and traditional South Indian dish. Almost prepared on every festival day. A very simple recipe which includes just “ONE” key and main ingredient Tamarind. And, the Rice turns out unimaginably yummy! There are also several variations in preparing this dish. For now.., I have brought here a regular recipe. Check this.. Happy Cooking!!
1 1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup thick tamarind pulp
5 medium size slit chillies
Pinch of Asafoetida/inguva/hing – for flavor and aroma
2 big red chillies torn into pieces
1tsp avalu/mustard seeds
1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 tbsp black gram/minappappu
1 tbsp bengal gram/pachi senaga pappu
Pea nuts and cashews as desired
3 spoons oil
Salt to taste
1. Cook rice and keep aside (1 1/2 cup Rice needs 3 cups of water to cook).
2. Heat a pan with oil and add the bengal gram, black gram, jeera, mustard seeds, red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves, hing,cashews and peanuts. This makes a perfect tadka/talimpu for pulihora.
3. Once it is perfectly fried, add the tamarind pulp and a pinch of turmeric to it and mix well for few minutes.
4. As soon as the oil starts oozing out from the mixture, remove it from the flame and add it to the rice. Mix well with salt and serve hot.
1. You can also add a tsp of pepper powder in tadka/talimpu if u want the dish to be a bit spicy.